Ben Nye Banana Powder wins the prize by a land slide for the most Hyped about product! It’s know wonder since it’s favored by the likes of Celebrity Makeup Artist Mario Dedivanovic who created Kim Kardashian’s famous highlight and contoured look.
But is this Powder really all it’s cracked up to be? Will it give you that stunning highlighted look that Kim has? I put it to the test and the results are in!
Before I go on to telling you my thoughts on this so called Magic Powder, lets quickly review what this powder is and formulated to do…
Ben Nye Luxury Banana Powder is part of the Bella Series which constitutes four different color choices for light to medium skintones. The brand also carries another luxury powder series called Mojave for medium to dark skintones.
The luxury powders are a micro-milled loose powder, that claim to provide a superior matte, silky and subtle finish. They are a substitution for your HD powder, however the luxury powders provide a hint of color so you aren’t left behind with a white cast.
With 10 color choices to choose from, why is the banana powder the most popular?
Well, it’s been said that the banana powder is the most versatile color as it will suit almost all skintones. I call total BS! Mrs. Kim made this particular color famous simply because, it is what she uses.
She has olive skin, so of course she would use the banana color with the yellow undertones. If Kim had skin like Nicole Kidman or Taylor Swift do you still think she would be using banana? Highly Doubtful!
She would probably use Cameo and then we would all be talking about and buying “Ben Nye Cameo Powder” and IT would then be the most versatile color.
My opinion, yes, but it makes sense does it not? And one more quam regarding the marketing of this product…if the entire Bella series is so called Neutral and Translucent then why so many colors? Just saying
On with the Review….
I have quite a bit to say so instead of rambling on I figured I would list my views in point form 🙂
- This powder will suck ALL of the oil out of your skin making it much more suitable for oily skin.
- When applied under my eyes as a highlighter, it made me look 10 years older as it took away all moisture and made any wrinkles under my eyes look HORRENDOUS!
- This product is to be used VERY lightly or you will be sorry…trust me!
- Made my pores much more noticeable.
- Not a big fan of the shaker bottle. Makes a mess and it’s hard to get just a little on your brush However, I believe they have since changed the design.
- The Banana color worked for me as I have Olive skin.
- It definitely left behind a slight ‘yellow’ color. For those with pink undertones, beware.
- The Price is Excellent! I picked up this bottle for $10.00USD
- It does feel very silky and nice
I was so excited to get this product and was left feeling completely disappointed.
I tried to make it work, I really did! But at the end of the day, it just isn’t for me. Maybe if it was a pressed powder I would use it blot my shiny areas on the go…I’m trying to be positive here
I do believe that this powder could work wonders for those with perfect skin; Pore free, wrinkle free…someone like Kim Kardashian who has the money to make that happen 🙂
I also picked up a couple of Ben Nye Lip pencils as they were super cheap! Somewhere around the 5 dollar mark.
I will start by saying that the pencils glide on effortlessly with highly pigmented color. They apply matte and feel dry on the lips immediately. Great right? Nope! They look and feel dry but they smudge and bleed horrendously! Take a look at the picture below…you can even see that color has bled into the wood of the pencil. I definitely would NOT recommend these liners.